-

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Suppression Check

I headed down to Nashville on Thursday morning for my suppression check appointment. I thought I was going to have to take a sick day from work, but we were off of school for our 8th snow day!! Let me just say that the snow is getting a bit ridiculous, and I am SICK of it. I don't think I've ever been so ready for Spring. They're calling for more snow here tomorrow and Monday, so it's looking like the snow days aren't over yet.
Anyway...back to my appointment. I ended up getting there about 30 minutes early, so I took a bunch of papers to grade while I sat in the waiting room. As soon as I got out a stack of papers, they called me back. They're always on top of their game at the clinic, and I was so glad I didn't have to wait long. My first stop was the blood station. They had to take blood to check my estradiol level. I went straight from giving blood to have an ultrasound done. This was done to make sure I didn't have any cysts. The ultrasound lady said everything looked great, and she moved me to another room where I had to get weighed in and have my blood pressure checked. I don't know what it is about the blood pressure cuff, but everytime a doctor puts one of those on my arm, I can always feel my blood pressure shoot up. I warned the lady that this always seems to happen, and sure enough, my blood pressure was a little higher than usual. I guess it's just nerves or something. My next stop was with a nurse practicioner who listened to my heart and lungs and asked me a bunch of questions. She then proceeded to do a trial embryo transfer. This little procedure was done just like it will be the day they actually do the real embryo transfer so that they can get all of the measurements and make notes so that everything goes smoothly on the big day. The lab technician came in next and she went over what they do on the day of the egg retrieval. She showed me pictures of what the eggs will look like after they are fertilized and what they should look like once they start developing. It's so amazing what they can do! She said that if they do a Day 3 transfer then they will transfer 2 embryos, but if they do a Day 5 transfer, then they will just transfer 1 embryo. The Day 3 and Day 5 just means that's how many days they wait after the egg retrieval to transfer the embryos.
After checking out and receiving a voicemail box to call after every appointment for results and updates, I was on my way home. What was supposed to be a 3-hour appointment ended up only lasting 1 1/2 hours, so I got home earlier than expected, and I got to enjoy the rest of my snow day by laying around with Bailey.
As of now, the plan is to take 5 units of Lupron every morning, and starting tonight, I have to take 225 units of Follistim which is the stimulant drug. I go back down to Nashville on Tuesday and Friday for more check-ups. After I start this new injection tonight, I'm not allowed to pick up anything over 10 lbs. (which means no picking up Bailey), and I can't do too much cleaning. So, needless to say, I am spending ALL day today cleaning and doing laundry. Thank goodness Brad is being the good husband that he is and helping me clean! :) I better get back to it...I've got to tackle the bathroom next....the worst room in the house to clean! YUCK!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything went well :) I think you might find you enjoy not being "able" to clean! haha When I was going through the morning sickness phase James did ALL of the household duties for weeks... I have to admit I enjoyed it :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. White labcoat syndrome - that's what I was told when my blood pressure would go up as soon as I sat down to have it taken! Just a bit of nerves because you may not know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete