-

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Above Average

Today was the big egg retrieval day! We had to be at the clinic at 8:15 to get signed in and prepped for surgery. I got nice and comfortable in the bed with a blanket and a People magazine. I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. The anesthesiologist came in about 9:15 to start my IV. It was the first time I had an IV in my hand, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The last thing I remember was they were wheeling me down the hall into the OR, and I had to scoot out of the bed onto the OR bed. The nurses announced the time....9:34....and said my name, and I was OUT!
The next thing I knew, I was back in my room. I supposedly had been awake for a while, but to me, it seemed like I just opened my eyes. I started talking and talking and talking, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make sense. Brad got the camera out and video taped me. I must admit, the video is pretty hilarious. I will try to put it on here if I can figure out how to make the size smaller. I remember talking about Michael Jackson because they were giving me Demerol, and I also said I was an "egg-making machine"! haha The nurse was super nice, and she brought me a Sprite and some graham crackers. I was STARVING since I hadn't eaten or drank anything since last night.

Right after waking up...I'm pretty sure I had no clue what was going on.













Anyway, the embryologist came in and told us how many eggs they got. Let me start off by saying the average is 8-15 eggs. So when the lady told us they got 41 eggs, I couldn't believe it! I know not all of those eggs are mature, and not all of the eggs will fertilize, but I thought this was great! After letting me lay for a few more minutes, they had me walk to the bathroom. This was my test to see if I was ok to leave, and of course I passed! :)
They took me to the front door in a wheel chair, and now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I told the nurse about 5 times how much fun it was to ride in a wheel chair. When I got home, I took a 3-hour nap, and I felt as good as new! My mother-in-law came over tonight and gave me my first progesterone shot in my back hip. This shot was the one that I had been dreading the most because the needle was not as small as the ones I had been using, but when she gave me the shot, I didn't even feel it.
Today was a great day, and I am so anxious for tomorrow to get here so that we will find out how many of those 41 eggs actually fertilized. The next few days are going to be so exciting as we continue to hear updates on our little embryos. Thank you to everyone for all of your sweet comments and prayers!

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure....make sure you have the volume turned up!

11 comments:

  1. You did great! I love you babe!!!
    -Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holli, I am SO happy for you guys!! You did a great job!!
    I am literally crying because I am laughing so hard!! 3 dimensional shapes?!
    Love - Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holli - Congratulations on a great day! Your video has me cracking up. You wanted to go to school because you had alot to talk about?! There's no telling what you would have talked about with your kids today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holli! I'm so happy for you guys and I think you should have called Mr. Ward! Your video is too funny and I think you would have great stuff to tell your kids! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to go Holli!!!! 41 eggs?!?!!? Good lawd woman!!!!! Can't wait to hear more news tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holli,
    What awesome news! We miss you at school, but it sounds like things are going great. I'll keep checking back to see new updates. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm cracking up here! This is the funniest thing ever! Yes, you should totally be an egg making machine :) Brad didn't sound too convinced...The shout-out to Michael Jackson was funny, and I'm glad you made it through the Demerol a little better than he did! haha And...I'm sure your kids would have LOVED to hear what you had to say about 3-D shapes today. Love ya and glad everything went well... Our fingers are crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeay Holli! Ashley's right, you're an egg making machine! I've been praying for you and Brad! I'm still cracking up over your MJ tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you all are enjoying my little video. I think it's hilarious that I have absolutely no emotion! I feel so sorry that Brad and all of my incredible nurses had to witness that! I think I asked Brad about 20 times if he called school to tell them I wouldn't be at work the next day. He kept telling me that I had asked the same thing over and over and over again! WOW---the joys of anesthesia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holli,thanks for sharing the video. I'm so glad that Brad didn't let you call Mr. Ward right then! I'm so thankful everything is going well for you. I'll keep praying.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holli, I'm crying from laughing so hard... I love the 3 dimensional shapes!! hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete