-

Monday, May 30, 2011

Storm Warning

I think this has been the year for thunderstorm and tornado warnings, and they all seems to come in the middle of the night.  This is not fun when you're trying to sleep with a baby in the next room.

We have four HUGE trees in our yard (two in the front and two on the side) that I love, but I must admit, when storms roll in they do make me nervous because they are so big and pretty close to the house.  We've been pretty lucky up until now and only lost a few little limbs and branches, but after Wednesday night, that all changed.

We were under a thunderstorm warning, but for those of you that watch WBKO in Bowling Green, the weathermen were not breaking in so we didn't think the storm was going to be bad and we went to bed.  Brad put Cooper down about 10:45, and then about 11:30 they finally broke in on TV with the weather.  After about 30 seconds of listening to the weathermen say "Bowling Green is starting to get the high winds" we heard the loud wind outside and then a cracking, popping sound coming from the trees outside our window.  The next thing I knew I heard a big crash and I was on the floor.  Yes, I rolled onto the floor thinking that could save me if our roof was caving in.  Too bad we didn't have a video camera to capture this because I'm sure it was quite hysterical.  Brad and I jumped up, I grabbed Bailey, and he ran and got Cooper, and we headed to the basement.  When we came back upstairs we looked out the bedroom window and could see through the flashes of lightning that we had lost a huge part of our side trees and they were laying against the house.  Brad went up to the attic to make sure our roof didn't have any holes in it, which it didn't.  We knew there was nothing we could do since it was still storming so we went back to bed.  (Cooper slept through the whole thing, by the way.)  At about 2:00 we heard another crashing sound of another big branch coming down.

The next morning we got up, went outside, and surveyed the damage. 



We were very lucky that this was the only damage we had.  Our bedroom is in this corner of the house and Cooper's is right in the front of the house, so it is very scary to think that the WHOLE tree could have fallen on the house. 

I normally love storms, but after this, I think I've had enough for this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment