-

Friday, July 30, 2010

A first day of school like no other

Let me just give you a little recap of my week....
Monday- Opening Day at the high school all day and Open House at night
Tuesday- Opening Day at school (work day), stomach virus at night (including vomiting 6 times)
Wednesday- First Day of School (woke up with an empty stomach from the night before, dizzy, lightheaded and no energy)

I will start here with the rest of my story.  I finally made it to school Wednesday morning still not feeling well, but as soon as my new kiddos walked in the door, I did start feeling better because I had so much to do and so many new kids to get to know.  We had a GREAT morning, and my kids were perfect!  Around 10:00, I walked my class down to the computer lab, and we had to wait because another class was in there.  My kids sat on the floor in the hall to wait and another teacher watched them while I ran to the bathroom.  Well, this is where the day took a turn for the worse.  Let me just say when I got to the bathroom, I noticed A LOT of blood.  My heart instantly stopped, and of course being almost 7 weeks pregnant, my mind started thinking the worst.  I came out of the bathroom and found one of my team teachers and told her what was happening.  Of course I was completely freaking out.  I left my kids with her, and ran back to my room to call Brad.  I was hysterical as soon as he answered, so he instantly knew something was wrong.  He called Nashville to find out what we should do, and they said they wanted to see me right away.  Thank goodness I work with such loving, supporting people because I literally grabbed my purse and ran out of school as fast as I could. Brad met me at home, and we made the quickest, quietest trip to Nashville ever.  After arriving in the office and being the only people there because it was everyone's lunch break, we pretty much walked straight back with the ultrasound technician.  I'm pretty sure we still hadn't talked at this point, and we could both tell that that ultrasound lady was pretty nervous about our situation too.  As soon as she started the ultrasound, the first thing she said was "The baby's fine!"  That's all it took for a wave of relief to rush over the both of us.  To make the story a little shorter, it ends up that I had some type of hemorrhage.  The doctor did say it is common in early pregnancy, and they see it every week.  I wish I had known this was even possible, but then again, I would probably be thinking about it and waiting for it to happen which probably wouldn't have been good.  They aren't sure what causes the hemorrhage, but the good news was that is was below the gestational sac.  They also said that this was something that could happen again in the future.  Let's just hope it doesn't!  The baby was measuring in at 8.4 mm (almost tripling in size in 5 days) and it's heart rate was 147.  Let me just tell you, this was the most scary experience ever, and I hope I never have to experience this again.  To make the week even more crazy, my doctor put me on bed rest until I go back to see him again on Tuesday, Aug. 3rd.  That means that I got to spend the first 2 hours of school with my new students, and then I will not see them again for a week.  I know this is what my body needs, and I will do anything at all to make sure this baby stays healthy.  Because of this bed rest, I do get to get out of jury duty on Monday, so I am pretty excited about that!  :)  Our next appointment is Tuesday at 1:30 and we'll get to have another ultrasound.  I can't wait to see how much Baby Waltrip has grown!  We are so thankful that our baby is fine, and this first day of school is definitely the most memorable ever.  I do like the more boring, routine first days, so I think I'll stick to those from now on!

Baby Waltrip at 6 weeks and 6 days!

7 weeks!  It doesn't look like there's much there, but I promise my pants are getting tight.  *Sorry about the PJs, glasses, and hair, but remember...I am on bed rest!  haha

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness, Holli...I am so glad everything is OK! I just broke out in a sweat just reading that! You keep your feet up, and I look forward to a good report on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete